Lily turned 16 months old today! There are so many things I've been meaning to write about on the blog, but I just haven't gotten around to doing it. So, here is my Lily update...Lily is still in love with her animal and colors books. She can correctly identify more and more animals and has added another animal sound. Before she could say quack, baa, "sniff, sniff" (for a bunny), blow like an elephant, and make a monkey sounds. Now she can moo! It's funny though because it sort of sounds like a mad cow and is a forceful "Mmmm" sound with no "oooo" sound. We get the point though:) I think the most impressive thing is that she correctly identified animals that I drew. That means that she really knows what they look like and is not just memorizing the pictures in her books.
Lily has been babbling a lot more the last couple of days. I know, you're thinking she's been babbling for months! However, this is different. She really sounds like she's saying real words. She uses lots of new consonants and vowels sounds. The inflections in her voice makes it sound like real words...just in another language. She even talks with her hands as if she's really trying to get her point across. I've found myself looking at her several times recently and saying "I just don't know what you are saying!". I wish I could understand her "toddler talk" and it makes me even more excited for when she can really tell us what she's thinking in that pretty little head. Right now, this is what she can say: Mama, Mom, Dad, Puppy (although she hasn't said that in awhile), Hi, On, Off, Hot, Pop, Amen (sort of), This, That, and she certainly tries to say more:)
Besides the spoken word, Lily has also been testing out her singing voice. You have to listen closely, but sometimes when I'm singing or music is playing she quietly hums and "sings" along. I love it! Lily also is quite a dancer (as shown on previous posts). Her most popular move is rocking side to side from one foot to the other. She does this when ever she hears music, on the stereo, on T.V. or even from me. In fact, we were walking to the mail box today and saw a bus driving up the street. So naturally I started singing "Wheels on the Bus". She stopped dead in her tracks and started swaying side to side to the song! Silly girl:) Music is such a love of mine (especially singing) and it makes me happy that she is taking an interest in it.
The biggest thing recently has been Lily's obsession with letters. She has been playing with her foam letters and numbers for a long time; stacking them in her hand, taking them in and out of their box, etc. However, about a month ago I set 6 or 7 letters out and almost jokingly asked her to find the "T" (for example). She handed me the correct letter every time! Apparently, she had been listening all of those times I told her what a letter was when she held it up and said "Dat?". I tried setting out the whole alphabet a couple of times and she can get one or two correct, but that's still a little overwhelming. As long as it's in a smaller group, she gets them right. In the last week or so, she's started noticing the letters in some of her books and asks what they are. She also has been pointing to the letters on my t-shirts and sweatshirts. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed that she knows her letter at 15 months old!
Lily has definitely been testing her limits a lot more lately. The most frustrating thing is when, for example, she touches the stereo (off limits for Lily) and I say "Uh uh" in my loud Mommy voice and she just looks at me and opens her mouth as if to bite the coffee table (also a no, no). It's like she's just egging me on to see what I'll do next. She clearly know what she is not supposed to do or touch in our apartment. I know this because often times when she touches something she's not supposed to, she shakes her head "No"...sometimes before I even have a chance to say anything!
Lily has been babbling a lot more the last couple of days. I know, you're thinking she's been babbling for months! However, this is different. She really sounds like she's saying real words. She uses lots of new consonants and vowels sounds. The inflections in her voice makes it sound like real words...just in another language. She even talks with her hands as if she's really trying to get her point across. I've found myself looking at her several times recently and saying "I just don't know what you are saying!". I wish I could understand her "toddler talk" and it makes me even more excited for when she can really tell us what she's thinking in that pretty little head. Right now, this is what she can say: Mama, Mom, Dad, Puppy (although she hasn't said that in awhile), Hi, On, Off, Hot, Pop, Amen (sort of), This, That, and she certainly tries to say more:)
Besides the spoken word, Lily has also been testing out her singing voice. You have to listen closely, but sometimes when I'm singing or music is playing she quietly hums and "sings" along. I love it! Lily also is quite a dancer (as shown on previous posts). Her most popular move is rocking side to side from one foot to the other. She does this when ever she hears music, on the stereo, on T.V. or even from me. In fact, we were walking to the mail box today and saw a bus driving up the street. So naturally I started singing "Wheels on the Bus". She stopped dead in her tracks and started swaying side to side to the song! Silly girl:) Music is such a love of mine (especially singing) and it makes me happy that she is taking an interest in it.
The biggest thing recently has been Lily's obsession with letters. She has been playing with her foam letters and numbers for a long time; stacking them in her hand, taking them in and out of their box, etc. However, about a month ago I set 6 or 7 letters out and almost jokingly asked her to find the "T" (for example). She handed me the correct letter every time! Apparently, she had been listening all of those times I told her what a letter was when she held it up and said "Dat?". I tried setting out the whole alphabet a couple of times and she can get one or two correct, but that's still a little overwhelming. As long as it's in a smaller group, she gets them right. In the last week or so, she's started noticing the letters in some of her books and asks what they are. She also has been pointing to the letters on my t-shirts and sweatshirts. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed that she knows her letter at 15 months old!
Lily has definitely been testing her limits a lot more lately. The most frustrating thing is when, for example, she touches the stereo (off limits for Lily) and I say "Uh uh" in my loud Mommy voice and she just looks at me and opens her mouth as if to bite the coffee table (also a no, no). It's like she's just egging me on to see what I'll do next. She clearly know what she is not supposed to do or touch in our apartment. I know this because often times when she touches something she's not supposed to, she shakes her head "No"...sometimes before I even have a chance to say anything!
Going along with Lily's love of music, I've been singing "Rock-A-Bye Baby" while rocking her baby doll (or her!) and she seems to have caught on. Now, when I sing and give her a baby, she will rock it (sort of) and at the end, fall down! She has done it with more enthusiasm before, but this video is the best I've gotten so far. Listen closely...I think she's also singing along:)
2 comments:
What a smarty-pants! I love the rocking of the baby.... too adorable. BTW, your cheesecake was DELICIOUS.
What a great smile, Lily! It sounds like you'll be chatting with your Mom & Dad really soon!
Post a Comment